wheat flour(atta) -3 cups
water for kneading the dough
potaotoes - 4 -5 (boiled & mashed)
salt,chilli powder,garam masala
** Mix the above ingredients to make a smooth paste.Make small balls of the mixture.
- Put flour in a large bowl. Make a well in the middle and pour in a stream of water in the center. Use one hand to mix the flour and water in a rotating motion from the center of the bowl outward, until the dough is moist enough to be gathered into a rough mass. Wet hands and continue until the mixture cleans the sides of the bowl and has become a nonsticky, kneadable dough. When the dough is kneaded, it will be elastic and silky smooth.
- To test the dough, press it lightly with a fingertip. If it springs back, it is ready to be rested. Resting the dough is the last step and allows the dough to relax and absorb the water and kneading. Rest for 1/2 hour . Cover with a wet towel so the dough does not dry out. The rested dough is light and springy, less resistant to being rolled out into the thin rounds.
- Take a ball of dough slightly thicker than chapati (large egg size or peach size) and roll it to a circle 4-5 inches in diameter.
- Place potato mixture on it and again make it into a ball.
- Seal the edges completely so that the stuffing does not come out.
- Flatten these balls and roll into a 6 inch circle.
- Pre-heat the griddle (tawa). Turn it and spread little oil or butter and cook over low heat.
- Turn it again and spread butter/oil on the other side.
- Cook both sides till golden brown.
- Serve with chutney, yogurt, pickles